8/05/2010

Mechanical

Calgary has come and gone.  Going into the race i had a great block of training even with a big crash i was ready to rock. The swim was very cold and rough and i exited back about 1minute from a couple of the main contenders that i wanted to run with. I couldn't see a thing the whole swim as my goggles had fogged up. I just tried to stay positive and look for feet and flailing arms. For the first 40k on the bike things were good i was riding with Jamie, Jeff, Tich and myself; but then i couldn't change gears for the life of me and i ended up riding in my small chain ring behind Grant Burwash for another 30k before puncturing. I moved slowly through the field backwards and I quickly realized I couldn't do anything. After that I went straight to the treadmill to burn off some frustration.   Obviously this result is not what I was looking for coming to Calgary but life moves on. Thanks to Doctor Ryan and Barb for hosting Carley and I for the weekend, even though I am disappointed in the outcome it was still great to see them.

Next up is Timberman 70.3 and Wedding planning so time should fly by. I want to wish a good buddy of mine a speedy recovery. Andrew Montes crashed hard at the OTC and is now needing face surgery. Get better buddy!

5 comments:

Jeff Symonds said...

Tough Luck We must have puncture around the same point, I went flat just after the turn onto road 250 after the second climb. Very frustrating. Next time.
-Jeff

Jeff Symonds said...

Tough Luck we must have punctured around the same point. I flatted on just after the turn onto road 250 a after the second climb. Very Frustrating as Leto and Fleischmann were in sight. Next time.

LARRY BRADLEY said...

Brent,

Sorry to hear about the bike issues. Those are tough to deal with as they are beyond your control most of the time. Stay positive and crush it in New Hampshire!

See you at Timberman! Although, you will be miles ahead...

Brent Poulsen said...

Hey Jeff,
bad luck for both of us, frustrating for sure. but your right! Next time!

Brent Poulsen said...

Hi Larry,

I am still trying to register for the race at timberman. Hope to see you. I am going to send you an email now about it.