10/06/2013

Just my luck!

Since Galveston I have not been feeling 100%. At first jokingly I blamed it on the pizza I ate the night before the race, thinking I had some sort of food poisoning or something.  The morning of the race and for a few days post bike/run race I had the runs (or as I like to call it “The RRHEA”). It seemed to clear up, I kept training....Fast forward seven days.

This past Sunday, I woke up ran 10 miles went back to bed by 9am (not normal). The rest of the day I couldn’t seem to keep my body temp regulated. I was wearing a touque one minute in 100 degree heat, the next minute turning down the AC in the house to 64 degrees. I blamed it on my ice bath and smoothie and carried on.Monday at work I was texting Carley saying I don’t really feel well I and told her I was just going to sleep on the couch at work so she wouldn’t make me do chores when I got home (damn chores). By the time I got home my face was beat red, Carley immediately took my temp and it was 104.8. Wow, popped some Ibuprofen’s went to bed. Middle of the night put on a light grey jogging suit, woke up it was dark grey and could be wrung out with sweat in the morning. Trained Monday temp spikes twice, it was rough but carried on. Tuesday woke up rode two hours, ran at the track that afternoon and later temp spikes again to 104. Consult Dr. brother in law  who tells me to start alternating Ibuprofen and Tylenols every 2-3 hours like the summer/winter Olympics. Tuesday night sweat the bed so bad soak the down comforter, and it is currently still at the dry cleaners. Wednesday am swim, then temp spikes again Carley forces me to go to CareNow. At CareNow I have no temp, Dr. runs some blood, urine and swabs for strep which all comes back negative. She tells me if I didn’t sound so intelligent she would tell me I don’t know how to use a thermometer. Wednesday pm I was told rest as per coach and Dr rules.



Thursday am soak the bed, and am lethargic. Carley takes my temp its 103.7 and I can’t get out of bed. Carley gets me dressed cause I can’t and takes me directly to the ER. We are there for 7 hours, they run more tests take X-rays nothing, and again I have no fever during most of it. They do however take blood cultures, the results take at least 24 hours for preliminary reports and send me home. Thursday no training.

Friday morning temp is only 102.1, yes! So what do I do? I swim and run and head to work. By 9am ER calls me to tell me my blood cultures are positive and to report back to the ER immediately to be admitted to the hospital. I ask if I can come in about two hours so I can ride first, they advise me not to. I call Carley at work, she freaks out and I drive myself to the ER and meet her there.

I get to the ER, wait about 10 minutes until all the Docs get wind of my situation and i’m immediately admitted and seen by ER Dr, Infectious disease Dr, Hospitalist Dr, and another ER Dr. Three nurses also swarm me and start an IV and take about another pint of blood. I think they thought I may have had some sort of contagious deadly disease. They all asked me at least three times “have you been outside of the country in the last three months?”. They aren’t sure what’s poisoning my blood but they order a CT scan of my abdomen to make sure my organs aren’t infected as well. CT is clear....except for my colon which is really full actually.

The next three days I live in the hospital waiting for my blood cultures to grow the bacteria in order for the Doc to treat it correctly.   More blood tests reveal my liver enzymes are off and my WBC count is non existent.


Living in a hospital is rough, if Carley hadn’t have brought me every meal I would have starved to death. And sleeping, well I don’t think I slept more than 4 hours a night being checked for a fever every hour, and blood draws at 430am.
Sunday afternoon the infectious disease Dr informed me I have a strain of salmonella bacteria in my blood. Weird thing is that salmonella is usually just a GI tract disease that doesn’t normally infect your blood. The Dr’s are still trying to convince me that I travelled outside the country in the last three months, however I blame an unpasteurized yogurt I bought at Central Market three weeks ago that was in a really cool jar. I guess we will never know!

I don’t quite have a clean bill of health yet. I have to follow the infectious disease Dr on an outpatient basis for the next month and take some oral antibiotics for 12 days. Definitely not my way of spending a weekend!

BP



No comments: