6/14/2011

K-SWISS KANSAS 70.3

K-SWISS Kansas 70.3 Triathlon Update

This Sunday I raced the K-SWISS Kansas 70.3 triathlon. It was a fun trip traveling up to Lawrence with my good buddy Travis Thomason. Other than getting caught in a Tornado/Hail storm in Wichita on Thursday, and getting lost on Friday we made it safe and sound. I have been slowly increasing my Iron levels and have started to feel good; so I was pretty excited to race.

RACE DAY
Luckily the nasty weather held off but we were forced with an unexpected choppy swim.
Thanks to my Xterra Vendetta wetsuit I was able to come out in the lead group that had all of the race leaders (Matthews, Kahn , Bell, Umphenour, Guillaume, Castillo, Rhodes, Anderson) in a time of 24:55. At this point I had a few calf cramps while exiting transition and I lost the lead group. Afraid to push the pedals too hard the first 5 minutes and make things worse I waited until my calf better, and was passed by a few others (Rix, McDaniel) who were riding well and made it up to the front. Looking back that was my opportunity to ride off those guys and pace myself up to the front. Luckily I was able to ride with Gavin Anderson most of the ride and make my way into transition.

It was my first time racing with power(big thanks to Mark Howard) and that kept my mind going and my attention span in the present. My bike split was a little weak but looking back I could have pushed harder (2:19:59) based on the wattage I have been training at lately.

Off the bike I ran 1:16:58 (thanks to my K-SWISS K-RUUZ) to finish 7th overall (4:04) and cap the day with a bit of prize money and WTC Points for the 70.3 Championships in Vegas in September.

Now it’s time to recover and get ready for Buffalo Springs 70.3 in a couple of weeks time. Congrats to Paul Mathews and Chrissie Wellington for taking the overall W’s as well as the other athlete’s who made it to the yellow brick road at the finish line. It was inspiring to watch everyone.

Ironman 70.3 Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas
June 12, 2011
D 1.2 mi. / B 56 mi. / R 13.1 ni.

Men

1. Paul Matthews (AUS) 3:49:44
2. David Kahn (USA) 3:55:46
3. Luke Bell (AUS) 3:56:13
4. Romain Guillaume (FRA) 3:59:17
5. Joe McDaniel (USA) 4:00:53
6. Andres Castillo ( ) 4:03:22
7. Brent Poulsen (CAN ) 4:04:18
8. Joe Umphenour (USA) 4:05:18
9. Tony White (USA) 4:05:56
10. Torsten Abel (GER) 4:06:33


Thanks to my Coach Cliff English, Spring Valley Spine and Sport, K-SWISS, RTS Bikes, Xterra Wetsuits, Powerbar, Louis Garneau and Colonels Bikes for getting me set up to perform at my best!

See you in Lubbock,
BP



No comments: