9/22/2008

Texas Man Triathlon

I had a great end to the week with an Olympic Distance Race yesterday in Texas. This week i managed to empty the tank with a lot of hard training sessions and even a great tempo run on Saturday. The Dave Scott Texas Man Triathlon has been around for a while and it took place at Lake Ray Roberts which was a beautiful venue to race.
The goal of the race was to train through it but at the same time get in a good effort since last weekend i flatted. It was an excellent chance to test my fitness and i built up a lead on the bike that let me cruise through the run. I decided on Saturday that i wasn't using any equipment to enhance my performance as i actually wanted to enter the run with a group or behind so i could get in a good hard run in. Doug From Colonels loaned me some training wheels, nice Durrace wheels but at the same time a lot slower then the Blackwell 100s. After the swim and a fast transition i found myself alone on the ride and riding scared that some fast cyclists were going to pass. I held over 40kph so it was good enough to get me a lead that i took into the run which felt long and very up hill on the way out. The first 5kms i took out very hard and the rest of the race was spent enjoying myself and giving high fives to my other friends racing. I ended up going 1:47 and change setting a new course record and i even won a bottle of champagne but it will have to wait till after Austin before it gets cracked. It was a great time out at Lake Ray Roberts hanging out with Diesel, Ron and a bunch of other great athletes. This next week i will be focusing on a good consistent week and a half of training before heading to Austin70.3.
Hopefully once i get some results and photos i can post a few up here.

No comments: