12/04/2008

the last month


Sorry for the lack of posts over the last month. Its been the first day that i haven't had company over the last 4 weeks. After Iron Star Triathlon i took a bit of a break from things as Carley was down for a while, and my father was down for my birthday and thanksgiving. I had a great visit with Carley even though i was a bit sick and run down from my trip to Houston, she got me a pretty kewl 405 watch and i have been using it lately to down load my workouts. So the past month i have really focused on getting out of shape but working a little more on strength, and working on my golf game.
I had a great Thanksgiving with my Family and a great birthday even though it was a little out of hand. I don't have too much to report on training other than a few field tests and and out of shape birthday 10k swim as well as a 10k Turkey Trot that i was used to help pace a Friend. Its amazing how much a 10k can hurt after not doing to much, going out in the first mile in a 458 didn't help on the hurt scale.

Here are the 5 reasons i need to get back to some solid training and better eating.

1. I did the mirror test that James Cotter mentioned on his blog, and i failed.

2. Someone on the trail the other day yelled " hey Poulsen its 75 how many layers do you have on?" i replied " i am wearing shorts and a tee you ahol$!"

3. The waitress @ 8.0s brought me a Michelob Ultra and lime after not even ordering anything yet. Some how i had a hard time explaining to Scott and my Dad that i have never been to 8.0's and the waitress had me confused with someone else.

4. My Dad Said to me " are you sure your going to eat all of that?" * usually they are telling me to eat more.

5. I started to wear a tee shirt and shorts on deck while stretching before swimming, because Mcmanic called me the Nutty Professor!

Here are a few of the workouts and tests i have done this week. I am a hurting unit in the weight category but training isn't too bad.

Field Test 4mile Run with Mcmanic.

It was below zero and after a warmup we ran 4mile TT with a big cooldown. Kind of a hard run with tights and a jacket and all of the hat and gloves gear. Oh well it was fun averaging below 530 pace and 179avg hrt. (not good, but not bad for this time of year. ) i would have liked to see 520 at least but it was hard warming up when it was so cold and windy. Mcmanic agreed with his frost bite and sore legs so we chalked it up.

After 12x100m on 130 holding race pace threshold.

mostly 09's and 10's. i think i had 1@1:11 but other than that 10's or faster. This was better than i thought it would be after not doing allot. Alister has had me doing some strength and drill work since racing last so i cant complain for now.

Another session this am was a zone 2 base run, keeping my hrt at 140 i did a 90min easy run, i felt like death but averaged 715pace. I am hoping the weather will get better as i will be doing some power field tests on the bike on Saturday and a long base ride on Sunday.

another session i have done this week was a trainer workout, a nifty high cadence workout at 300-350watts. doing 10x30seconds at 100rpm, 5x1min @100+ with some recovery, also some single leg spinning work.

So other than a few swims a ride a few runs and some weights not much has gone on this week, and i will report on the rest of the power tests after the weekend. As for right now i am working and figuring out how i am going to kill all the lady bugs in my house. I have a feeling Carley saw one of them and didnt want to kill it and now i have its whole family living there.

Be Safe and practice healthy holiday habits as i have read the average American gains 8lbs from thanksgiving to newyears so luckily i am Canadian.


1 comment:

Nicole said...

What is the mirror test? I'm afraid I would fail it. Also, you need to post some bday pictures... preferably some embarrassing ones.