3/28/2009

Epic Day in the Wind













2 days out from Lavaman Triathlon and the taper begins. We started the day with a 1.5hour Kona Masters Swim plus a Coach Paul set to keep us busy in the pool. Then it was off to ride the Hawaii Ironman Bike Leg and the wind was howling. Justin road strong today, and we battled a bad head wind for the first 57miles and we weren't to happy. Then Coach Paul decided since we were racing in 2 days we should do a zone 3 tempo out to Hawi and back to Kawaihae with the nasty winds it was 38miles of tempo riding. Justin and i basically looked at each other and bit our lips. For the remainder of the ride, we were hoping for some tail wind but things shifted slightly and we weren't as lucky as we thought but it was still good. By the time we got back it was 117 miles(188kms) and i had a slight rough patch with a flat and some wheel rubbing but all in all it was a strong day(* as you can see in the picture i blew a leg somewhere). Tomorrow we have 3 workouts and are helping with a kids triathlon in the morning(*awesome!). I am hoping to wake up and see Sundays Race is deleted out of training peaks for Sunday but i won't hold my breath. Maybe Lava java instead of Lavaman? Anyways tonight was some good recovery starting with a contrast shower, followed by 40mins of elevating the legs while i talked to Carley on Skype, a black bean burrito and an epson salt bath later on. Rest Well!


4 comments:

William Ritter said...

Good luck tomorrow, thats how the winds looked yesterday when the cold front blowed through. I am hoping they back down before I do my "Super Saturday" training today. It's supposed to be about 30 degrees outside right now and warmup to 50 later today winds around 25 mph. It will be a good effort but probably a slow ride :) I am hoping to hit 5.45s on the mile repeats. My buddy Lance says he may come check me out when I run on the track. If he does I'll try and get some pics for my blog :)

William Ritter said...

come on man, how was lavaman, I'm waiting. Did the workout today. It's on my training log. it hurt especially the TT and mile repeats, 3 hour ride with intervals wasn't so bad, but it was very windy over here today.

BreeWee said...

Go get em' tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brent!
Hope all went very well today! Congrats to you on all your achievements, you seem to be doing quite fantastic! Quite happy for you. Take care and best of luck for the future!
Cheers!
Lianne